Shinobi RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Of Poison and Puppets [Training]

Go down

Of Poison and Puppets [Training] Empty Of Poison and Puppets [Training]

Post by WhiteFog Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:52 pm

The room stank of a number of somethings, and Satsumi gave an irritated sigh as she leaned back in her seat, glancing over at the mouse that looked back at her, the dual pairs of red eyes mostly just watching the other, before the mouse broke eye contact first, moving then to go and curl up in the corner of its little holding tank. Satsumi exhaled as she tapped her forehead several times as she looked at the chemicals that she was dealing with. “Dad, the poison isn't working right,” she called out, seeing the shadow of her father pass by her room.

The shadow paused, before retreating a few steps, and a man that looked to be in his mid-30s poked his head into the room. Like his daughter, he had dark hair, though he kept his much more close-cropped and the sweater vest he wore marked him as someone that seemed almost unassuming. “What's the matter, pumpkin?” he asked, the man simply looking in at the array of chemicals that she had on her desk, before glancing at the mixture that was in the beaker in front of her.

“I've followed this recipe here that you and mom had,” she spoke, handing him a faded piece of parchment. “I followed all of the steps but the mouse just seems to think that it's a slow-acting poison instead of one that's going to make his heart explode in an instant,” the girl grumped, acting more than a little bit spoiled about this, despite the fact that, all things considered, the level of talk that she was having was something akin more to serious, level-headed discussion...not a daughter talking to her father about something bothering her.

The man scratched his jaw once, before he took the paper from her, looking it over for a moment. “Hm...” he spoke, before he looked at her setup, and then back to the paper. “You're applying the proper heats and reductions?” he asked, the girl nodding, looking back at her setup for a moment while her father continued to pour over the note. “Judging by the color of your mixed poison there, it looks like you overheated the Serithen venom. It shouldn't be taking on the dark brown color.”

Satsumi frowned, looking at the poison that sat on the table before back up at her father. “Well that's what I thought to, but it says to keep it at a temperature of one hundred and twenty, and so I did, and-”

“Woah woah there pumpkin. That's not a one. That...looks just like a stray mark. It's twenty degrees.” He set the paper down, murmuring a bit under his breath as his fingers rapidly moved through a few different handseals before he placed his thumb down over the stray mark that Satsumi had mistaken for a one, and as he did so, the paper shifted under his touch, the stray mark fading away. “There you go. Give that one another try and you should be finding it act in about ten to fifteen seconds instead of that long in minutes,” the man said with a spacey smile, reaching down to give the girl a squeeze on her arm.

Satsumi glanced at the man for a moment before she sighed, looking back at the poisons. “Okay. Back to trying again. I should be able to get it this time. Do we have any more mice or are we out? I went through about a dozen trying to get this to work,” Satsumi admitted, frowning as she spun around in her chair slightly, mostly just trying to waste time until she got the answer that she needed.

The older man frowned, scratching his jawline again. “You know, I don't think we do have any more mice. You might need to run out and get some, since you used the last of them. Just make sure that Shimazu doesn't eat any of them. He's more resistant to the poisons than the other cats we've had, but that doesn't mean that we want to test anything like that on him.” The man gave another spacey smile as he began to head out of the room, then.

Satsumi frowned, watching him go before glancing back over at the mouse in the cage, which now started to show some signs of the poison, its body trembling. “I guess I'll go out and do some regular training then first, and then pick up some mice on the way home,” she spoke. She'd prefer just to sit here and work on this...but she had a good feeling that after awhile, either her mom or dad would kick her outside anyway to actually do some “real” training, which she supposed she was fine with...but this whole business with the recipe being wrong was frustrating.

“That sounds great, pumpkin. Make sure that you work on your kunai skill. Your mother still thinks it's too weak,” the man spoke, gesturing for the girl to exit first as she moved past her father, heading toward the back door. “And while you're out there, keep an eye out for any Duskshadow Frogs. I'm working on something with their skin oils and I accidentally killed the last one.”

“Yeah yeah,” Satsumi spoke, before giving her father a wave, pulling a large bag after her as she began to head out the back of her house, heading down toward what looked like a small ravine, with a s mall brook that traveled the length of it. The sound of frogs could be heard even as she began to descend down into the ravine, the whole area walled off and hidden from just about anyone else that might be following her. “All right, Jack. Let's get some training in,” she spoke, moving to reach into the bag, pulling out what looked like a wooden man, though it was crudely carved. Woodworking was not one of Satsumi's best skills.

“All right,” she spoke as she gestured with her left hand, threads of chakra beginning to form from her fingertips to the puppet as it began to look alive. “Let's start this.”

WC: 1024
WhiteFog
WhiteFog
E-Rank

Fame : 1
Elements : Fire
Village :
  • Kirigakure

Back to top Go down

Of Poison and Puppets [Training] Empty Re: Of Poison and Puppets [Training]

Post by WhiteFog Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:10 pm

At Satsumi's beckoning, Jack began to rattle slightly, shifting in his stance as he looked around for a moment, controlled by the girl's tendrils of chakra that led from her to him. She had an ongoing narrative about Jack simply being a spirit of some long-hated enemy of her clan that had been forced into a wooden training doll for practice and to be continually beaten but never actually take damage from the attacks, or at least, any lasting damage.

It was important to the loner girl to continue this charade, working him up to something that could actually be a fight that she might not be able to win. Of course, being wooden, her poisons also wouldn't work on him in any capacity, which was forcing her to just use her rather limited Taijutsu as well as her shuriken and kunai work. “Let's begin,” she spoke as she began to move, letting her hands twitch, pulling the puppet forward.

The attack was clumsy, which was honestly more due to her lack of talent than it was anything in specific with the puppet. She ducked easily beneath it and flipped a kunai end-over-end in her hand before she took a step backward and hurled it, aiming to make it stick in the wooden frame. However, the throw was...sad...at best, and downright pathetic at worst. It turned slightly in the air, bouncing off of the wooden hide and clattering to the ground across the stones.

She began to twitch the fingers of her hand then, letting the puppet come in for attacks on her. She knew what he was going to be doing, of course, as every bit of this was controlled by her, but she didn't want to break this illusion, and so she moved in time with the puppet, blocking the attacks as they came and evading some of the others, working to get herself into a better position when she thrust outward with the kunai in her hand, letting it drive into the side of the dummy.

She made a gesture with a finger, sending it hurtling away from her, and she grinned to herself as she saw it crash to the ground in a heap. “You think you're so good? Get up and let's keep going,” she called out to the puppet. It rose of seemingly its own volition, but simply danced to the tune that her fingers played before it came rushing forward at her again, and she took a step back, blocking the attacks before she spun, planting a foot into the ground before driving one into the middle of its wooden body, once more sending it flying away from her.

This time, however, she pulled out another kunai, exhaling as she took aim on its flight backward. Of course, it was currently being slowed down by her control over it, and while that made it harder for her to focus, she wasn't going to be able to control a puppet and fight at the same time as it stood. She needed practice on both and while her mother found it rather silly, she couldn't deny that it did at least make Sumi motivated, and that was something that was often sorely lacking from the girl.

As it began to descend, she threw the small dagger, letting it soar through the air, striking the target near the center. Satsumi gave a silent cheer for herself as she saw it hit, pumping her free hand before she shook her right, causing the puppet to stand once more. She readied herself, though she didn't particularly need to, and readied a pair of shuriken, this time. A sudden flick of her wrist and she sent them hurtling outward toward the approaching training dummy.

The first one she threw hit with ease, and the second nearly did as well, but just managed to miss, whizzing past the shoulder and striking the side of the cliff face just behind. “Shit,” she hissed under her breath as the puppet came closer, and she moved, once more simply blocking and avoiding the attacks before she sent him reeling away from her- not even bothering to do an attack at this point to get him away. She needed to practice a bit more on her attacks, and so she brought it close once more, as she began to ready a few of her shuriken.

The throwing of more than one at a time was a talent that she didn't particularly do well with, but all the same, she needed the practice. Besides, if her mother caught her slacking off again, the beating might be worse than the time before. The girl's eyes narrowed before she hurled the items outward again, letting them soar through the air, one in each direction, as they looped around, each heading for the dummy.

Both struck home this time, and she gave a small breath of relief, seeing that they had managed to land without error. That was good. Her right hand closed, and the strings of chakra from her hand to the wooden doll simply died away, the doll dropping to the ground like a puppet with its strings cut. Literally.

“I guess that's that for training,” Satsumi spoke, moving to stretch a little bit, shaking out her muscles after the (admittedly brief) exercise. However, before she was able to start even moving toward Jack to put him back into the bag...she saw him twitch. A pit of cold drifted into her stomach then, and it expanded rapidly, like watching a video of a melting snowball in reverse as she took a step backward. “Um...Jack?” she called out.

The wooden doll heaved itself to its feet then, swiveling its crudely-carved face toward her before its arms twitched, a pair of kunai emerging from where its wrists as the hands simply popped off. It wasn't the most genius design, but it fit what Satsumi wanted to do with it. However...having it suddenly animate on its own was not, in fact, something that she had expected as the puppet started to rush forward toward her. “I built you, Jack. I'll dismantle you if it comes down to it!”

1030 / 2054
WhiteFog
WhiteFog
E-Rank

Village :
  • Kirigakure

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteFog Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:58 pm

The puppet lurched forward toward her, and Satsumi gave a small sound of discontent as it drew close. She moved, leaping backward as it slammed its fist forward. The danger was in just how fast and strong that was, as it cased the dirt to break apart under the impact. "Jack, what the hell?" she hissed, not even sure what was causing this, now. The fact of the matter was...it was a puppet. It wasn't imbued with any power, it couldn't move on its own. Whatever was happening now was beyond her, and it was honestly a little unsettling. Or it would have been, if she wasn't Satsumi Dokunagu. Which meant that she was used to seeing a great deal of weird and unusual things...mostly courtesy of her parents.

As she darted backward, she extended out her right hand, letting the strings of chakra flare outward, latching onto the puppet to try and control it and bring it back under control. HOwever, as soon as they latched on, a rush of feedback shot through them and collided with her, causing her to give a small cry of pain as she stumbled backward, cursing vehemently under her breath. She stumbled a few steps backward even as Jack continued to approach, and the large kunai made itself known on its forearm once more. It didn't speak, of course, being just a puppet, but she could feel her own breath catch in her throat as she watched him come closer. "Jack. This isn't fair, you know. You're not a human, I can't poison you!"

Jack didn't seem to listen, simply darting forward once more and Satsumi hissed, stumbling backward out of the way before she managed to get her feet back underneath of her and as she did so, she began to focus herself. She needed to move like a shinobi. All this scrambling about wasn't going to get her anywhere. She needed to move and flow like the shinobi that she was. "All right," she muttered under her breath, her feet spreading out a little wider, giving her a better center of gravity to work from. Hand-to-hand wasn't her best style, but she could certainly work better than a puppet that had seemingly come alive of its own volition, right? She readied her kunai in her right hand as he approached, and she moved, the girl's red eyes flickering over his form, and finding the weak point.

THis was her puppet. She'd carved it from the trees here in the area, treated it and allowed its body to accept the chakra threads that she used to the best of her ability, under her mother's tutelage. She knew all of its weak spots. She knew right where to strike to take it down, she just needed to focus on doing that. Her movements became more focused, and less sporadic as she avoided another strike from the puppet, and she jammed her knife upward, catching the puppet on the elbow joint, causing its left arm to go flying. Of course, with a puppet, all of the joints were rather loose anyway to give it a full range of movement. She wasn't all that impressed with the fact that she'd managed to remove it...but that's not what she was looking for.

As the arm began to fly, it paused for a second in the air, before it hurtled back to its source, heading right back for the left joint. The girl exhaled then, before she turned, spinning and hurling one of her kunai out toward the treeline. As it shot out toward the forests, Jack fell in a heap, and the kunai itself simply stopped moving in mid-air. "Mom, what the hell was that about?" she called out into the emptiness of the forest that was beyond, knowing full well that it had been her mother that had been the one controlling her puppet.

After a moment, a dark-haired woman emerged, her head tilted to one side, resting on fingers that were far too long, it seemed, for the size of her hand. In fact, willowy described the woman in her entirety. Long limbs, long fingertips, long nose, hair and all. Her eyes, much like Satsumi's, were wide and unblinking, though the woman had a burning, glowing green to her own, whereas Satsumi took after her father's red. "That was good, Sumi. I didn't think you'd realized it was me doing it. You were so cute, spooked as you were by Jack," the woman spoke. Her voice was light, airy, and almost a little...aloof, as if she weren't quite aware of what was going on around her, though she most certainly was.

Satsumi grunted, working on putting the left arm back onto her puppet. "As soon as the arm came back to the body I knew there was another puppeteer, and you're the only other one out here," Satsumi spoke, giving a snort as a soft 'click' came from Jack, putting the arm back on. "You should have just let it fly off. That was silly," she reprimanded her mother, before standing up, panting a little. The hand-to-hand wasn't something that she was used to, nor was it something that she enjoyed doing and as such, she didn't want to make it seem like she had.

The girl frowned, coming to stand up to her full height as she looked at her mother. “So what was all of that about anyway? I wasn't really expecting you to try and come out to kill me today. Dad said that you wanted me to do some training today but I didn't think he meant that kind,” the girl spoke, folding her arms over her chest, looking at her mother with a dour expression.

“Well, I thought I would just come remind you that you attacking an inanimate object isn't quite the same as fighting something that you can't control. Then again, you proved to have enough intelligence to ignore all of that entirely and go right for the heart of the matter. That's impressive,” the woman spoke, nodding. Words of praise weren't common from her mother, and as such, Satsumi's eyes narrowed suspiciously. “What?”

“Just don't get a lot of praise from you. That's all. It's weird,” she spoke, waving a hand. “Anyway, Dad wanted me to go and pick some things up from the market. We're out of mice,” she spoke, before glancing to the body of Jack, kicking it once. “I should also probably pick up something for Jack to get him fixed up.”

“Very well. Enjoy your day. And don't forget that I am always here for you, much as you seem to forget it. If you need assistance with your training I will be more than happy to provide a suitable opponent.”

Satsumi rolled her eyes then, beginning to head back up toward the house to shower, before heading into town. “Yeah, okay,” she muttered, making her way up toward the door.

WC: 1162 / 3,216
WhiteFog
WhiteFog
E-Rank

Village :
  • Kirigakure

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content